Electric Vehicle Fast Charging Grants – Round 2 (NSW)
Round 2 of the NSW drive electric fast charging grants are underway, delivering bigger and faster DC charging stations in metropolitan Sydney and its regional areas. The new funding round consists of an $80 million investment, with the State aiming to install over 180 charging stations in the next two years. Round 2 of funding will run until the 10th of March 2023. Two funding streams are available for application: standard and fast-track streams. Additional funding rounds will follow over the next four years.
To support the production of EV fast charging stations, the NSW government introduced a $149 million investment with the intention of developing a world-class fast charging network across the state as part of the NSW Electric Vehicle Strategy, targeting a goal of 50% reduction in emissions by 2030. The investment aims to expand on the state’s current public charging infrastructure, targeting the installation and operation of charging stations every 100km along major NSW highways and every 5km within metropolitan NSW. The grants will support Charge Point Operators (CPOs) to implement fast charging stations across NSW.
Key Details of Round 2 Funding
- $80 million funding round
- Applications are open until Friday 10th of March, 2023
- There are two funding stream options: standard and fast track
- 202 priority zones are available for round 2: 180 standard, 22 fast track
- Applicants must find a minimum of 50% of the total project capital cost for standard stream sites and a minimum of 30% for fast track stream sites.
- Applicants can apply for up to $30 million in funding across multiple locations in round 2.
The standard stream has the same funding conditions as round one, which are:
- up to $490,000 in co-funding per station on average across all standard stream sites
- no more than 50% government co-funding of total construction costs
- a minimum requirement of 4 charging bays; 2 that can be serviced by a 350kW charger and 2 that can be serviced by a 175kW charger at each site.
- sites must have a minimum connection to site of 500kVA
- stations must be built within 24 months
- there are 180 available eligible zones
Fast Track Stream
The fast-track streams are targeting new stations in metropolitan Greater Sydney with high urban density where residents have limited access to off-street parking.
This stream will include:
- up to $900,000 in co-funding per station on average across all fast-track stream sites
- no more than 70% government co-funding of total construction costs
- A minimum requirement of 8 charging bays; 2 that can be serviced by a 350kW charger and 6 that can be serviced by a 175kW charger at each site
- must have a minimum connection to site of 740kVA
- stations must be built within 18 months
- there are 22 available eligible zones
For more information on the two streams please see the round 2 guidelines.
Projects that can demonstrate both value for money and merit will take priority. This includes building regional charging stations, innovation in station design and diversity of locations proposed.
How does this benefit you?
As EV uptake continues to surge, the opportunity to future proof your site with charging infrastructure could be of great benefit. Along with appealing to the early adopters of EVs, a few benefits include attracting more visitors to your site and increasing their time spent at your site while they charge! Businesses, commercial property owners and managers, local councils, site operators and owners across NSW have the chance to be a part of a world-class charging network.
For further details visit the NSW drive electric fast charging page here.
How can JET Charge help?
We are Australia’s leading end-to-end provider of EV charging technologies, providing a holistic range of EV charging solutions. We partner with leading hardware suppliers to deliver future proof solutions for your business. JET Charge has 10 years of experience, completing a variety of works that support similar project implementations. We also implement load management systems including our CORE solution
Stay tuned on the JET Charge Blog for more industry news, announcements, and educational pieces.
"*" indicates required fields